PyWeek - Postmortem - Doctor Chemical's LabVideo of multiplayer mode in action.
Video of me playing survival mode for 4 minutes.
Things that went well
- Squish and I worked well together. I handled all the programming and game mechanics and she provided art and animations in exactly the format I requested it in. Very little time was lost in overhead costs.
Things that went poorly
- Had lots of trouble getting the game to work on OS X.
- People can't be bothered to find a buddy to play with - if you want a top score in PyWeek, don't bother with multiplayer. Check out the video linked above to see what multiplayer mode looks like.
- The gameplay is rather complex, and the game does not help the player learn to play gradually, but instead, drops the player into a difficult arena, totally unprepared for what is happening.
- Squish put incorrect instructions in the "How to Play" screen, and I didn't catch it until way too late. However, as BlueDragon pointed out, even the real instructions are confusing.
- Atoms fall down too quickly - the speed at which they fall should start out very slow and then slowly increase.
- The crazy physics glitch bugs that remained are bad enough and occur frequently enough to almost render the game unplayable.
- No score in survival mode.
- Bombs are actually helpful, not hurtful.
- I'm considering creating a new game just to explore the grapple gun concept. I think that there is some complex and ridiculously fun gameplay to be had there.
Comments: (log in to comment)